There are a number of questions that nursing students have in their minds while standing at the crossroads of their careers. There are so many nursing options to choose from, which one should they pick? Which one will make their life the challenge filled glory that they want? Which is the best thing to do once you decide to do nursing? For many, it is the Associate of Science in Nursing. Instead of having to go through the complex process of a B.Sc., an M.Sc. and a certification exam, all students have to do is pick the associates degree in nursing, the completion of which entitles them to a certification exam.
Today, various corporate organizations and medical facilities prefer nurses with the associate degree. This is because the associates degree in nursing doesn’t just train students better, it widens their horizons better and places more emphasis on practical experience. When a student chooses the associate degree in nursing program, he or she is preparing for the career path that lays ahead in a much more practical, challenging and intellectually enhancing way. The careers for those with this degree are also booming by the day and the paychecks are getting better as well.
What the Associate of Science – Nursing is all about
This degree is usually offered based on different criteria by different schools. The most prominent of those are Columbia University, University of North Carolina Charlotte, Arizona State University etc. The certification is also accredited by these schools, most of which are generally accepted across the nation along with the pass certificate of a national exam. These certificates are also accepted in various other countries apart from the United States, as long as the necessary documentation is attached to them.
This program is one of the toughest and takes a minimum of one year to complete. Some of the subjects include:
- Anatomy, physiological & pharmacological courses – some of the cornerstone courses for nurses are the above three, all of which deal with the human body and its reaction to various drugs, medicinal care, intermediate care, advanced care and treatment techniques. Throughout its curriculum, nurse practitioner programs, both online and offline treat these as their priority subjects, the completion of which provides the nurse practitioner with the tools necessary for controlling a clinical environment.
- Clinical courses – Another important part of a nurse practitioner’s career is the knowledge and skill that is applied in the clinic/hospital itself. Being a successful contributor to the clinical sphere, managing and leading the environment they are working in requires training in and learning a diverse range of concepts, all of which are taught here.
- Surgical courses – Unlike being in the exterior of the hospital, the surgical room is not a place for errors. It requires the utmost training and expertise without which a patient’s life is in jeopardy. Right from handling and using the equipment used in surgery to assisting the doctors, warning them and guiding them in various areas through the process is all a part of the nurse’s responsibilities and these courses train nurses well in such areas. Apart from these, even unconventional surgery help and management of various resources required in surgery are taught as well.
- Policy courses – it is important for all nursing students, no matter which program they choose, to complete these course. State law requires that all students have complete knowledge of the laws that preside in their area right from hospital regulations to national and global protocols. While considered a minor part of the curriculum, they are nevertheless just as important as the other courses in the program.
How to Afford the Program
There are various associates of science in nursing scholarships, financial aid opportunities, assistantships, grants, loans and various other ways in which students can raise the finances they need in order to complete this program.
Some of the prominent scholarships are:
1) John E and Betty A Capito scholarship – Starting at a minimum of 1000$ per semester, this semester is primarily offered to exceptional students. Certain criteria are set, the fulfilling of which entitles you to apply for the scholarship.
2) CalReach scholarship – A unique scholarship known for its generous awards, the CalReach scholarship offers anywhere from a minimum of 1000$ to a complete fee waiver during the program time. Right from the bottom level, students that satisfy the minimum criteria can applay and are rewarded accordingly. It is primarily given out in the California area.
3) Broward Health scholarship – Another incentive filled scholarship program, this offers students the chance to receive a minimum of 1500$ per year. Based on the level of excellence, students are awarded the financial resources.
Apart from this, local colleges offer various other ways of earning money such as part time jobs and assistantships.
Career Options For Students With Associates Degree In Nursing
Newly graduated students begin at the bottom and soar their way to the top, thanks to the various skills provided to them by their degree. After qualifying a national exam, the students register themselves as nurses, after which the world opens up to them.
Various careers await these employees at:
- Private Institutions
- Mental, physical disorder institutions
- Care organizations
- Home care organizations
- Research organizations
Employees in the beginning earn anywhere from 48,000$ a year to 60,000$ a year. The career pinnacle will enable them to earn as much as 90,000$ every year.
Various jobs for students with associates degrees in nursing have opened all around the world. The growing need for technologically and intellectually bright nurses is the perfect solution for all those with these degrees. Not only are employees eligible of applying for regular employment in their own areas, they are free to work in other states or other countries as well. Be it in government service, the private sector, global organizations, nurses are contributing significantly and consistently.
Apply for this degree today and watch the world as it transforms you into a powerful entity.